NASH PRECLINICAL CRO SERVICES
The increase in the global prevalence of NASH (Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis) has turned into an epidemic, urgently requiring effective therapies. Physiogenex provides high quality NASH preclinical CRO services in order to help clients develop new treatments for NASH and liver fibrosis. We provide outstanding scientific expertise, unique in vivo NASH models (see a brief overview) and golden standards in NASH biomarkers, histology analysis and blinded NAFLD Activity Scoring (NAS).
As a pioneer preclinical CRO in the NASH and liver fibrosis field, we help our clients to move forward quickly with their drug candidates. We deliver original, diet-induced and benchmarked animal models of human NAFLD/NASH to evaluate novel drugs efficacy. Our very fast (1 to 8 weeks) NASH models allow to rapidly demonstrate the potency of our clients’ compounds. To further confirm the drug efficacy, our diet-induced NASH models with concomitant obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidaemia or even heart failure with preserved ejection fraction can be used (animals already on diet are available).
In each NASH model, client drugs can be compared with clinical benchmarks: elafibranor, obeticholic acid, semaglutide, firsocostat, resmetirom, etc..
NASH in vitro models
NASH in vivo disease models
Rapid (1 to 8 weeks in-life phase) animal models
Diet-induced obese, insulin resistant NASH models (15 to 30 weeks in-life phase) – animals already on diet and hamster RNAseq data available
NASH preclinical CRO services
Biochemistry assays and histology
Gene expression (qPCR), plasma ALT/AST follow-up, bile acids
Biochemistry/biomarkers: liver inflammation biomarkers, liver enzymes, collagen, hyaluronic acid, plasma and liver lipids
- Body weight, food intake, lipid homeostasis, blood collection and tissues harvesting
- Histopathology analysis and NAFLD activity score (NAS)
Histology analysis: ORO, H&E, Sirius Red, Masson Trichrome
Immunohistochemistry: F4/80, CD68 (inflammation), cytokeratin-18, Sonic Hedgehog (ballooning), α-SMA, collagen III (fibrosis)
In vivo drug efficacy studies
In vivo lipogenesis
Complementary techniques associated with diabetes and insulin resistance: glucose homeostasis
Complementary techniques associated with lipid disorders: lipid metabolism
Our customers present their drug benefits in our models in major NASH meetings
- Inventiva presents lanifibranor/firsocostat combination benefits in the Physiogenex 3-week NASH mouse at ILC-EASL conference
- Inventiva presents lanifibranor benefits on both NASH and HFpEF in the Physiogenex obese NASH hamster at AASLD Liver Meeting
- CVI Pharma presents CVI-LM001 (a novel PCSK9 modulator) benefits on NASH in the Physiogenex obese NASH hamster at AASLD Liver Meeting
Our major scientific publications on NASH
- “Obeticholic acid raises LDL-cholesterol and reduces HDL-cholesterol in the Diet-Induced NASH (DIN) hamster model”,
Briand F, Brousseau E, Quinsat M, Burcelin R, Sulpice T. Eur J Pharmacol. 2018
- “Liraglutide improves hepatic steatosis and metabolic dysfunctions in a 3-week dietary mouse model of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.
Duparc T, Briand F, Trenteseaux C, Mérian J, Combes G, Najib S, Sulpice T, Martinez LO, Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2019
- “A 3-week nonalcoholic steatohepatitis mouse model shows elafibranor benefits on hepatic inflammationand cell death”,
Briand F, Heymes C, Bonada L, Angles T, Charpentier J, Branchereau M, Brousseau E, Quinsat M, Fazilleau N, Burcelin R, Sulpice T. Clin Transl Sci 2020
- Briand F, Maupoint J, Brousseau E, Breyner N, Bouchet M, Costard C, Leste-Lasserre T, Petitjean M, Chen L, Chabrat A, Richard V, Burcelin R, Dubroca C, Sulpice T. Elafibranor improves diet-induced nonalcoholic steatohepatitis associated with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction in Golden Syrian hamsters. Metabolism. 2021
CONTACT US FOR MORE INFORMATION